Did You Know?
Did you know that...
- Every 14 seconds in our country, a woman is battered by her intimate partner?
- 20% of all murders are domestic violence related?
- Children who witness domestic violence are 6 times as likely to commit suicide and 57 times as likely to abuse drugs?
- Every 5 years, more women are killed by domestic violence than Americans killed int he Vietnam War?
- 76% of rape and sexual assault are committed by husbands, ex-husbands, boyfriends, family members, or acquaintance.
A domestic abuse victim is:
- someone who has been verbally abused
- someone whose freedom of word, thought, or deed has been restricted
- someone who has been threatened with harm
- someone who is forced to engage in sexual activity against their will
- someone who has been physically harmed
What is domestic abuse?
- Domestic abuse is a form of control that one person exercises over another.
- Domestic abuse can be verbal, physical, or sexual in nature.
Who could be an abuser?
- a current or former spouse
- someone with whom you now or formerly lived
- someone you are now or have formerly dated
- someone to whom you are related by blood
- someone with whom you have had sexual relations